Nix 🖤 macOS Monthly

Hi, I’m working on macOS support in Nixpkgs, sponsored by the
Nix :black_heart: macOS Open Collective.
I’m a long-time macOS user and started using Nix almost 4 years ago.

This thread’s intended to be a place for monthly status updates on what
I’ve been working on and community feedback of painpoints macOS users
experience.

March 2021

I started tracking the state of macOS in issue
#116341 Status of macOS.
It’s a convenient place to keep track of known issues. I try to keep it
up to date on an overview level.

Nixpkgs currently uses macOS SDK version 10.12. This is fairly old and it
is starting to generate issues where newer software can’t be built for
macOS because it relies on features in newer SDKs. The first goal is to
get this updated. I’ve been working on
bumping it to 10.13,
the last version my local machine supports, as a way to familiarize myself
with the process. This should make it easier to update to at least 10.14,
the oldest version still supported by Apple, and likely newer versions using
cloud resources. I’ve gotten the first three stages of the Darwin stdenv
bootstrap to build (there’s 4 bootstrap stages and 1 final stage).

48 Likes

April 2021

I started out updating parts of the bootstrapFiles manually whenever I ran into a new problem that required newer tools or libraries. This became harder and harder to do because changes to one part of the bootstrapFiles required changes to other parts and it got messy. So the first thing I focused on was generating the bootstrapFiles properly using make-bootstrap-tools.nix. With some changes so I can generate new bootstrapFiles while passing in new bootstrapFiles.

I’ve also started updating the LLVM version used for Darwin, both the stdenv and the default for packages. The PR can be found here. This is long overdue and has held back the default LLVM version even on Linux (though voices have been raised to change this in 21.05). I’m hoping this solves a build issue involving Swift CoreFoundation and macOS version 10.13.

Some exciting news is that @abathur’s work on improving the installer has been merged :tada:
They’re currently looking for someone to pick up the project of completing full uninstall/reinstall support as they’re short on time. (I believe this wouldn’t be specific to the macOS installer.)

12 Likes

Correct! The initial focus would be the multi-user installer. How to handle single-user is an open question. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

May 2021

This month was spent getting the bootstrap-tools and stdenv to build with LLVM 11. This required quite a few patches essentially flipping clang switches back to the clang-7 behavior, like -fcommon.
I based this work on staging, which got the Apple Silicon PR merged in time for the 21.05 release, in an attempt to make it in the release as well but got stuck on two regressions introduced in that PR.
These were quickly patched by @thefloweringash :heart:.
On @LnL7’s advice I’ve rebased the LLVM bump PR on a specific Nixpkgs master commit so we can have a hydra jobset that compares well with existing evaluations and finish up this work.

In other news, the Apple Silicon PR was merged in time for release 21.05 :tada:.
This means we’re getting really close to officially supporting Aarch64 macs, pending some fixes to enable Aarch64 hydra builds and a Nix release.
There has also been progress on getting NixOS tests to run virtualized on Darwin by r2r-dev.

19 Likes

I think that’s done now, at least for the short term. NixPkgs branches covered:

1 Like

Nix stable release (for aarch64-darwin) is worked on here, but it seems to require a change to the nix jobset in hydra.

This is great! Thanks for posting these monthly updates.

2 Likes

June 2021

The Hydra build of the LLVM bump progressed very slowly because the minis were swamped by a couple staging rebuilds, so I focused on the SDK bump. I rebased the previous work on the LLVM bump and started updating the Apple source releases. The source releases are what Nixpkgs tries to depend on for macOS builds when possible. Updating them involves adding to the header lists the releases are checked against when new headers are added, as for CommonCrypto this time around. Sometimes headers change location in the source tarball, requiring an update to the buildPhase, like for the new libdispatch. And occasionally headers are removed in new version, in this case we create a package that combines headers from the new and old version so code that relies on these headers still compiles, as happened to libdispatch and xnu.

I looked into building packages against newer SDK frameworks, which came up in this issue. But I got stuck on the rewriting of dylib paths and didn’t see a clear way forward. Finally with most of the Hydra build for the LLVM bump finished I was able to start looking into fixing the cups build which caused most of the new build failures due to being a common (transitive) dependency, I have a patch but ended up running into failures the hydra builders haven’t encountered and am looking into this. The new Hydra evaluation has started.

I also wrote a tutorial to get people started on recent versions of macOS (soon regardless of CPU), with step-by-step uninstallation instructions to reduce the fear of ending up with a cluttered system or make it easy to start from scratch. This is intended to go into the Nix manual. A nix-darwin setup tutorial would be next.

7 Likes